Develops and implements integrated pharmaceutical care to patients in the Emergency Department through clinical services, drug distribution, medication safety initiatives and teaching opportunities. Also provides pharmaceutical care to patients including appropriateness, safety, and efficacy of therapy, education & counseling, and enters orders & patient information accurately; verifies that all Pharmacy Technician-prepared orders are completed accurately prior to release; maintains security of pharmacy and controlled substances; provides assistance in the orientation and training of Pharmacy Department staff; keeps the Director of Pharmacy apprised of the daily activities of the department; and provides assistance in the operation and maintenance of the Pharmacy Department
Clinical Specialist responsibilities encompass:
· Medication Management
· Reviews medication orders
· Reviews medical record for patient response, occurrence of adverse events, and omission of therapies
· Conducts medication histories and medication reconciliation when needed
· Executes clinical and operational departmental protocols.
· Effectively utilizes guidelines and procedures to optimally impact patient care
· Documents medication interventions
· Provision of Specialized Pharmaceutical Care
· Serves as a medication expert to the Emergency Department staff. Intervenes before or at the time of order entry
· Transitions of Care: Provide transitions of care for the patient at initial presentation to the emergency department for targeted chronic disease patients including medication history & reconciliation
· Responds to and participates in code situations
· Contributes to pharmacy quality and medication safety initiatives: reporting of ADRs, medication errors and other issues/concerns
· Assists with developing protocols/policies & procedures/guidelines; works collaboratively with both pharmacy and hospital staff to optimally meet the medication needs of the patient
· Reviews medication use in the ED and optimizes, through ADM optimization or Med Use Evaluations, drug therapy
· Preceptorship: IPPE, and APPE
Pharmacy Department – Holy Cross Hospital The inpatient pharmacy provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care to Holy Cross Hospital, a member of Sinai Health System. With a focus on comprehensive medication safety provisions and clinical pharmacy initiatives in Sinai Health System, the inpatient pharmacy is undergoing an extensive practice model change with a focus on innovative practice and significant automation throughout the medication management system. There are significant teaching opportunities within the department; we precept IPPE & APPE students from several colleges of pharmacy.
Sinai Health System
Sinai Health System provides an integrated care delivery model across four hospitals and several Sinai Medical Group clinics throughout Chicago and the near west suburbs.
· Holy Cross Hospital is a 274 bed community safety-net hospital with specialty services including a Primary Stroke Center. The Emergency Department at Holy Cross remains very busy, receiving the second highest number of ambulance runs in the city of Chicago. · Mount Sinai Hospital is a 319 bed Level I trauma teaching hospital with specialty services including Cardiovascular Services, Cancer Care Center, Primary Stroke Center, Chest Pain Center, Orthopedics, Diabetes and Geriatrics. The Emergency Department at Mount Sinai receives almost 60,000 patient visits each year. · Sinai Children's Hospital is a 74 bed facility & is a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and a Pediatric Intensive Care unit. Sinai Children's Hospital is located at Mount Sinai Hospital. · Schwab Rehabilitation Hospital is a 102 bed facility with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services for adults and children.
· Approximate: 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
· PharmD Degree with 2-5+ years Critical Care experience
· PGY1 Residency-training required
· PGY2 Critical Care training preferred
· BCPS preferred
· Licensed as a Pharmacist in the State of Illinois
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Clinical/Staff Pharmacist is responsible for profiling and dispensing of medications, monitoring patient drug therapy, dispensing and record keeping of controlled substances, and performing clinical functions within the pharmacist's scope practice. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
· Ability to accurately enter medication orders (including chemotherapy) in a timely manner. Accurately check AMDS (Automatic Medication Dispensing System), IV admixtures, patient specific medications, prepacked medications. Responsible for the proper handling, storage and security of medications in the pharmacy.
· Monitors and evaluates patients' medication profiles for safety concerning appropriate dosing, contraindications, interactions, allergies, duplications in therapy, incompatibilities, etc.
· Critically evaluates and interprets lab s/results pertinent to the medication profile.
· Is familiar with the hospital formulary and appropriately auto-substitutes to the formulary equivalent.
· Provides drug information/education to the hospital's professional staff and patients as necessary to create the most effective treatment regimens.
· Demonstrates a clear sense of urgency with the ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously. Is able to maintain productivity that meets or exceeds the pharmacy standards; performance is analyzed using monthly Productivity Report data.
· Must be able to effectively communicate via email which is critical to the pharmacy work environment; all pharmacy communications, memos, and shortages are sent electronically daily.
· Assists with Adverse Drug Reaction (ADR) monitoring, medication variance reporting and actively participates in continued quality improvement.
· Required to perform other duties as assigned, including flexibility in scheduling as dictated by the needs of the pharmacy.
· Adheres to all State and Federal rules as defined by the Pharmacy Practice Act and Controlled Substance Act and Hospital/Departmental Policies and Procedures. Must be able to explain policy and procedures accurately.
· Exercises consistency in dispensing of narcotics and maintenance of appropriate record keeping.
· Is in compliance with Holy Cross Hospital Attendance Standards, consistently prompt, and at work station ready to work at scheduled time.
· Consistently observes and provides leadership for the technicians and pharmacy students to ensure adherence to established standards; delegates responsibilities with clear direction and expectations, resolves conflict; demonstrates accountability for his or her actions.
· This position requires periods of prolonged sitting and standing; minimal lifting (up to 10 lb.), pushing, or any other physical activities. The work area is clean, well-lit, climate controlled with a moderate noise level. Subject to highly stressful and crowded working situations. Works with toxic/caustic chemicals including chemotherapeutic agents.
The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for preparing for dispensing unit dose medications and IV admixtures, medication delivery rounds to nursing units, medication charge/credits, ordering, receiving and checking drug inventory, etc.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
· Adheres to all Hospital/Departmental Policies. Must be able to explain policy and procedures accurately.
· Accurately fills, checks and re-checks all orders (stats, unit dose, IVs, floor stock, etc. ) to prevent errors.
· Accurately labels all medications prior to pharmacist checking order. Does NOT dispense any medication without a pharmacist's approval.
· Fills all cart fill reports, crash carts, anesthesia drug kits, floor stock, and departmental requests daily as needed.
· Runs reports, fills below PAR report, maintains proper documentation.
· Coordinates buying efforts closely with the buyer to ensure adequate supplies are maintained.
· Prepackages medications as needed.
· Employee maintains a neat, clean, well-groomed appearance and work area. Restock and rotate stock in unit-dose, IV admixture areas.
· Demonstrates knowledge of Safety and Infection Control (i.e. uses aseptic technique while preparingLVP, IVPB, TPN, PCA, Epidural, Chemos, etc) Policies and Procedures. Reports any unsafe/unsanitary practices and conditions to the director.
· Attends and participates in staff meetings, general assembly meetings, teams, programs, committees, and functions as required.
· Displays ability to prioritize workload, strives to make good use of time; works to complete all tasks within time frames, recognizes when additional effort is needed and takes action without being asked, reports free time to supervisor; and assists others as requested.
· Consistently prepares narcotics and maintenance of proper record keeping.
· Is in compliance with Holy Cross Hospital Attendance Standards.
· Employee shows ability to work well under pressure in a busy atmosphere.
· Strives to improve recognized personal weaknesses; sets goals and works diligently to achieve them. Willingly accepts suggestions for improvements.
· Put away drug orders and maintain proper documentation.
· Maintains all pharmacy logs/records as defined by depart.policies and procedures (cart fill check list, refridge logs, etc)
· Completes other duties/projects as assigned by manager/director.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Education and/or licensure requirements
· Bilingual a plus but not required.
· High School graduate or equivalent.
· PTCB Certification preferred.
· Illinois licensed pharmacy technician by the Department of Professional Regulations.
Schwab Rehabilitation Hospital is a freestanding, not-for-profit, 102-licensed bed facility on
Chicago’s West and Southwest Side that offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient programs for
adults and children. Schwab is a proud member of Sinai Health System and the first fully licensed and
accredited rehabilitation hospital in the Midwest.
Our therapists see patients through the entire c...ontinuum of care, from acute inpatient admissions at
Mount Sinai Hospital, to inpatient rehabilitation and outpatient therapy services at Schwab. We also
have a hospital-based rehabilitation-focused short-term sub-acute unit at Schwab that provides both
therapy and nursing services with exceptional outcomes.
Our rehabilitation team takes a holistic, interdisciplinary approach to address the physical, cognitive
and psychosocial needs of each patient. Each patient is assessed and provided with a personalized care
plan tailored to help achieve maximal independence and function. Schwab offers seven treatment
gyms featuring private treatment rooms, a warm-water indoor therapy pool, and an award-winning
therapeutic roof top garden.