The Sarasota Memorial Hospital Post-Graduate Year 2 (PGY2) Emergency Medicine Pharmacy Residency will transition PGY1 graduates from general to specialized practice by preparing residents to be fully integrated members of the interdisciplinary emergency medicine team and to deliver comprehensive and integrated medication therapy management services. Graduates of the residency will possess the skills and competencies required to qualify them for clinical pharmacy specialists or academic faculty positions.
This intensive training program will meet these objectives by exposing trainees to a vast array of learning experiences:
- Providing high-quality care to patients in need of emergent treatment by recommending optimal medication therapy, decreasing medication-related errors, and ensuring appropriate, judicious utilization of high-cost medications
- Designing, managing, and monitoring complex treatment regimens for patients located in urgent care settings, emergency care settings, and intensive care settings
- Assessment of poisoned, envenomated, and exposed patients as a part of a unique pharmacist-driven toxicology consultation service
- Work alongside SMH emergency medicine medical residents in a cohesive and collaborative patient-centered environment
- Participation in adult and pediatric code response teams
- Provision of emergent medications to traumatically injured patients
- Interdisciplinary collaboration with the Stroke Team to determine patient eligibility for fibrinolytic and interventional radiology treatment strategies
- Independent antimicrobial stewardship to patients discharged from the ED with positive culture results as part of a comprehensive Culture Review Service
- Numerous opportunities for teaching/precepting pharmacy students and PGY1 residents, medical students, emergency medicine medical residents, emergency medicine nurses, and other healthcare providers
- Opportunity for teaching certificate completion through local Colleges of Pharmacy
For more information, visit our career page, located here.
Sarasota Memorial Hospital is an 839-bed regional medical center, accredited Level II Trauma Center, State and DNV certified Comprehensive Stroke Center, American Heart Association Cardiovascular Center of Excellence, and Emergency Nurses Association recognized Lantern Award winning Emergency Department. The Sarasota Memorial Hospital Emergency Medicine Pharmacy Service began fall of 2008. Today, our team has grown to a 24/7/365 program responsible for providing bedside clinical care to all patients seen in the main campus 71-bed Emergency Care Center with over 90,000 visits annually, as well as remote clinical care to patients treated at the 21-bed North Port Emergency Care Center and six SMH Urgent Care Centers.
PharmD from an ACPE accredited school/college of pharmacy
Expected/successful completion of PGY1 residency
Eligible for Florida licensure
Complete PhORCAS application
About Sarasota Memorial Healthcare System
Sarasota Memorial Hospital (SMH), an 839-bed regional medical center, is among the largest public health systems in Florida. SMH is a Level II trauma center, Comprehensive Stroke Center, Level III NICU and specializes in heart, vascular, cancer and neuroscience services. With over 5,000 staff, 900 physicians and 500 volunteers, it is one of Sarasota County's largest employers.