A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
Banner Estrella Medical Center focuses on patient safety by creating an open and just and learning environment by using culture principles that align with our Mission, Vision, Values and Core Behaviors. While proactively managing risks and behavioral choices while ensuring accountability, designing safe systems, responding in a fair and consistent manner to adverse events and the people who are involved in them, learning through transparent dialogue about risks and safety expectations.
As a charge/audit pharmacy technician joining our team, you will become part of a specialized professional group of technicians. You will have a high level of expertise and work alongside a very motivated team to provide first class service to our patients. We work in unison with outstanding pharmacists and a very dedicated technician staff. You will complete routine audits for proactive diversion and medication dispensing. You will also help with billing, auditing, charge corrections and work closely with pharmacy supply and 340B technicians on any related duties. This is a day shift position M-F with weekend and holiday coverage depending on the business need. Strong Pyxis, MS4 and Cerner understanding is required.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner Estrella Medical Center is a 305-bed acute care hospital providing a full range of health care services to the fast growing communities of west Phoenix. Opened in 2005, this is an innovative, fully electronic facility that features electronic medical records, computerized physician order entry, digital radiography, sophisticated ICU monitoring and much more. In fact, we've been named one of the "ten most innovative hospitals in the country" by Newsweek Magazine and are recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. The hospital is also designed to provide a soothing, healing atmosphere for both patients and their family members. We encourage the use of such therapies as pet therapy, aromatherapy, spiritual care and Reiki Therapy.
POSITION SUMMARY This position functions in a support capacity for automated technology systems related to pharmacy distribution. This includes implementation, monitoring, analysis, troubleshooting and maintenance of the automated dispensing systems and computer software. Serves as the liaison between the pharmacy and nursing with regard to automated distribution systems. Interacts and trains pharmacy staff, physicians, and nursing staff on automated dispensing technology.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides support in the implementation, installation, maintenance and updating of technology systems related to pharmacy distribution. Coordinate and review implementation plans, monitor and assist installation activities conducted by hospital staff and outside vendors to ensure agreed timetables are maintained. Coordinate information gathering process, including file building, configuration, construction related activities to ensure data integrity and adequate supply resources including delivery of equipment, network drops, and configuration of space on the patient care units, configuration of the cabinet(s) and establishment of inventory and par levels. Act as a liaison to other hospital departments for installation activities and post installation maintenance.
2. Serves as a resource to physicians, hospital personnel, and pharmacy staff in interpreting department/hospital/system policies. Regarding automated dispensing systems, acts as a resource, and may provide training to pharmacy staff, physicians, and nursing staff on the pharmacy distribution systems ensuring all parties have appropriate understanding of the system.
3. Monitors and evaluates system activities to ensure systems run properly. Coordinates site visits from vendors for upgrades and maintenance, as needed. Identifies and resolves problems with the medication distribution system, as well as assists in the development and implementation of programs to improve and enhance service quality. This includes analyzing data reports and educating staff on research findings, as well as troubleshooting and resolving issues with existing system programs and making recommendations to the respective vendors for upgrades.
4. Review historical data on patient-care-unit specific medication use trends. Interpret data, make recommendations and implement inventory changes in order to maintain safe and appropriate selection of standard stock. Keep adequate supplies on each patient care unit. Coordinate removal of infrequently used non-standard stock items to improve space and medication utilization. Produce a statistically valid analysis of overall automated dispensing system accuracy monthly, including overrides, stockouts, refills, etc.
5. Analyzes financial reports generated by the technology systems for the pharmacy department. Presents reports to management and assists with the resolution of issues identified. Work with Manager, Medication Safety and Regulatory Compliance to ensure safe and appropriate selection of floor stock medications throughout the hospital and clinics and review requests for new additions to floor stock. Coordinate approved changes with Pharmacy Purchasing and Inventory Coordinator.
6. Act as a liaison to the information technology department as it relates to troubleshooting and resolving technology system related issues. Serve as a liaison between pharmacy and Patient Service Managers during system upgrades and enhancements, coordinate facility moves of machines and related technology and new system installations including medication inventory and IT needs. Provide support to nursing staff during implementation of practice changes relating to the medication distribution system.
7. Assumes the duties of the Pharmacy Technician II when needed and as appropriate. These duties may include, but not be limited to preparing, charging and crediting medications, restocking automated dispensing technology and compounding specialty medications and intravenous medications.
Requires pharmacy technician licensure in the state of practice (where applicable). Pharmacy technician certification required.
Must demonstrate 1 to 2 years experience performing in a pharmacy technician role. Must also have proven experience working with automated technology systems related to pharmacy distribution. Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess training in compounding intravenous medications and sterile products preparation. Must demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills, problem solving, and conflict resolution of the pharmacy department.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and Automated dispensing system.
Three years experience as a Pharmacy Technician in hospital pharmacy practice. Previous supervisory experience is preferred. Computer software experience preferred. Experience serving as a pharmacy and nursing liaison for automated distribution systems desired.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R17762
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.