In accordance with Colorado's EPEWA Equal Pay Transparency Rules.
Explore and excel. If you're looking to leverage your abilities to make a real difference - and real change in the health care industry - you belong at Banner Staffing Services. Apply today.
Banner Staffing Services (BSS) offers Registry/Per Diem opportunities within Banner Health. Registry/Per Diem positions are utilized as needed within our facilities. These positions are great way to start your career with Banner Health. As a BSS team member, you are eligible to apply (at any time) as an internal applicant to any regular opportunities within Banner Health.
As a valued and respected Banner Health team member, you will enjoy:
Flexible Schedules (select positions)
Fewer Shifts Cancelled
403(b) Pre-tax retirement
Employee Assistance Program
Employee wellness program
Discount Entertainment tickets
Auto Purchase Plan
Registry/Per Diem positions do not have guaranteed hours and no medical benefits package is offered. Completion of post-offer Occupational Health physical assessment, drug screen and background check (includes; employment, criminal and education) is required.
POSITION SUMMARY This position will work under the supervision of the pharmacist. Performs routine duties in packaging, distribution and record keeping of pharmaceutical supplies. Assists in preparing compounded and intravenous medications, total parenteral nutrition products, and chemotherapeutic agents. Consistently demonstrates an ability to assess a situation, consider alternatives, and choose the appropriate course of action. May work with the Pharmacist in processing physician orders for medications by entering information in to the medication management system in an unverified status. May educate, train, and oversee the activities of the Pharmacy Technician, Technician Externs and Volunteers. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Selects and/or prepares medications, under direct supervision, as indicated on the patient medication orders. Places medications in patient boxes or in designated area for pharmacist to check, sends/delivers medications to nursing units as required. May investigate missing medication requests.
2. Charges/credits patients for medications and intravenous solutions as appropriate. Restocks unused and credited returned medications. May also prepare the daily bank deposit and financial reports, maintain databases and troubleshoot automated technology malfunctions.
3. Attends to customers and answers telephones in a courteous and timely manner. Serves as a liaison between the customer and the pharmacist. May also take requests for prescription refills and obtain necessary authorizations.
4. Identifies medications and other items for reorder as necessary to maintain a continuous inventory of medications and supplies. Receives, checks-in, and restocks medications ordered through wholesaler and other vendors. Assesses practical ways to deal with shorted items and short-dated or unusable items.
5. Compounds specialty medication products. Repackages bulk medications into unit of use packaging. Completes accurate documentation of medications compounded and repackaged.
6. Assists in preparing and labeling of intravenous medications including total parenteral nutrition products and chemotherapeutic agents using proper sterile and aseptic technique. May perform quality control activities such as monthly nursing unit inspections and pharmacy section checks in a timely manner. Completes documentation on refrigerator temperatures, intravenous hood cleaning, and equipment maintenance activities as required.
7. May use automated dispensing technology or requisition to restock medications to nursing and ancillary areas after they are checked by a pharmacist. When allowed by law and policy, and upon completion of proper training/competency assessment, may restock automated dispensing technology using barcode scanning verification devices. Restocks medications to all areas outside automated dispensing technology which may include but not be limited to trays, code carts and emergency boxes. Adds users to the automatic dispensing technology database as per policy. Investigates discrepancies in automated dispensing technology.
8. In a Home Care setting: under the supervision of a pharmacist may assist with documentation, tracking reports, IV pump maintenance, medication delivery and documentation collection per current compliance standards.
9. Participates in the following aspects of medication use: selection, procurement and storage, and dispensing. Internal customers may include Patients, Nurses, Licensed Independent Practitioners, Nursing Directors, Department Directors, Administrators and other health care team members for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, Joint commission, state Board of Pharmacy, colleagues and peers, educational institutions and pharmaceutical representatives.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
Requires pharmacy technician licensure (where applicable) and active pharmacy technician certification OR Pharmacy Intern licensure in the state of practice. May be required to posses a valid driver's license and be eligible for coverage under the company's auto insurance policy.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must have good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts.
Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Pharmacy technician experience. Knowledge of medication management information system software and automated dispensing systems.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R25502
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.