Pharmacy Banner Pharmacy Services division provides excellent patient care across our entire continuum through convenient access, improved medication outcomes and innovative pharmacy practices. Banner Pharmacy Services will be recognized nationally as a clinical leader and trusted partner in proactively providing innovative pharmacy services through excellence in integration, care coordination, medication management and service to make a difference in people's lives. Banner is expanding its focus from being a hospital company to a clinical quality company focused on population health management. Clinical Pharmacy Services are also included in this robust new service line and are responsible for the management of the Banner formulary, development of standardized system wide clinical pharmacy services, and management of adverse drug event preventions. Clinical Pharmacy Services provides collaborative drug therapy management and educational interventions in patient care to optimize medication therapy, improve outcomes, promote wellness, and disease prevention.
POSITION SUMMARY This positions primary purpose is to train the resident to become a confident and competent Clinical Pharmacist. This position delivers pharmaceutical care at the facility and serves as a resource for pharmacy, nursing, and allied healthcare providers. Activities may include active participation on multi-disciplinary healthcare teams in an area of specialty to provide quality patient care. This position includes participation in the optimal selection of drug therapy and designing regimens to maximize therapeutic benefit and minimize toxicity. Accountable for on-going evaluation and documentation of all components of pharmaceutical care delivered to patients. Conducts and participates in educational activities, applies principles of performance improvement, and participates in facility and system committee(s) as appropriate. Must possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements and provide pharmaceutical care based on those needs. Adheres to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Critically evaluates medication therapy and makes recommendations to improve patient medication regimens. Ensures appropriate and cost effective drug therapy. Areas of focus may include but are not limited to evaluating and addressing drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, contraindicated medications, inappropriate therapeutic regimens, adverse drug reactions, and medication therapy management (e.g. pharmacokinetics, nutrition). Accurately and completely documents patient assessment data for pharmacist to provider communication, clinical interventions and adverse drug events.
2. Functions as a therapeutic consultant in areas that include rational and appropriate use of medications, clinical pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, and medication therapy management. Adheres to all clinical practices approved by Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee/Clinical Consensus Group.
3. Reviews and evaluates medication orders prior to processing for appropriateness and completeness with respect to patient data including age, height, weight, diagnosis, allergy, laboratory values and other pertinent patient information. Complies with directives of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee/Clinical Consensus Group (e.g. therapeutic substitutions, formulary management).
4. Participate in operations of pharmacy including management of technology, inventory and preparation and dispensing of medications in compliance with company policies and procedures.
5. Serves as a drug information and medication safety resource expert for health care team, patients, and community. Participates in the education of pharmacy staff, students and residents where applicable.
6. Actively participates in facility based committees (e.g. Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, Other Multidisciplinary Committees) and effectively communicates to stakeholders. Assists with the development and implementation of evidence-based medication guidelines/protocols. Helps design and implement medication monitoring guidelines and programs for both staff and clinical pharmacists.
7. Applies the principles of continuous quality improvement consistent with job expectations. Incorporates quality improvement principles into other activities and facility based projects (i.e. data collection, documentation, med error review). Participates in drug use evaluations and medication use indicators.
8. Adheres to and completes all requirements in the ASHP PGY1 (or PGY2) Accreditation Standard for successful completion of the program.
Doctorate in Pharmacy degree or another advanced degree in pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy. Requires (or eligible for) pharmacist licensure in the state of practice. Must obtain state licensure within the timeframe set by the specific residency program. Completion of ASHP accredited PGY1 pharmacy residency program or ASHP approved exemption (PGY2 Resident only).
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Must be able to use reference tools to evaluate patient care and answer questions posed by customers.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and automated dispensing system.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.