Through the leadership of the Assistant Director of Inpatient Pharmacy Services, the Clinical Pharmacy Specialist is primarily responsible for leading and providing comprehensive and collaborative pharmaceutical care for their specialty care areas and provides support for the pharmacy education programs. The Clinical Pharmacy Specialist is also expected to serve as a leader amongst their colleagues, supporting workflow and education as appropriate. The major job responsibilities include drug distribution support, order verification assistance and oversight of medication use protocols and/or restrictions. The Clinical Pharmacy Specialist supports and leads clinical pharmacy and medication management initiatives, serves as the pharmacy representative on committees as appropriate, participates in research, and contributes to the advancement of knowledge through teaching and education of Pharmacy students, Pharmacy residents and Pharmacy staff, as well as Nursing staff and Prescriber staff both internally and externally. In addition, the Clinical Pharmacy Specialist serves as a preceptor for APPE students and PGY-1 and PGY-2 residents. Responsibilities include program/syllabus development and maintenance to achieve program goals, and provision of sound academic and clinical training for students and residents. The Clinical Pharmacy Specialist will also participate in candidate recruitment, design and implementation of program policies, evaluations of residents, preceptor development, and maintenance of ASHP program accreditation
1) Provide Comprehensive Pharmaceutical Care for Specialty Care Area: Participate in daily patient care rounds with the following goals: Monitor drug therapy to evaluate appropriateness of use; Provide age-appropriate care (neonate, infant, child, and adolescent); Promote the optimal use of formulary medications; Review patient profiles including dose, dosage form, regimen, route, therapeutic duplication, and drug interactions; Coordinate care across the continuum as needed. Provide pharmacokinetic consultations when appropriate. Prevent, detect, monitor, document adverse drug reactions and medication events. Counsel patients/family on discharge/transfer medications as appropriate. Participate in emergency situations as appropriate. Documentation of services provided within pharmacy intervention database and patient medical record. Provide medication order review support as appropriate for patients
2) Provide Operational Support of Inpatient Care Areas: Review medication orders for accuracy and appropriateness. Resolve drug distribution related issues. Cover assigned shifts as determined by departmental needs. Ensure adherence to Joint Commission Standards and other regulatory standards as appropriate. Support Baystate Pharmacy Services Drug Use and Disease State Management Program and related initiatives
3) Advancement of Knowledge for Baystate Medical Center and Baystate Health: Serve as the primary preceptor for APPE pharmacy students, PGY-1 and PGY-2 Pharmacy residents in their specialty care areas and a backup preceptor for other rotations as appropriate. Plan, develop and implement staff development support for prescribers and nurses. Facilitate Clinical Pharmacist development in specialty care area. Design and provide presentations, publications and other informative activities related to specialty practice area, patient care and other drug-related topics for internal and external audiences. Meets ASHP/School of Pharmacy requirements for preceptors.
4) Develop and Support evidence-based drug therapies for patients: Plan, develop and implement medication use therapies that are optimal from both a financial and a clinical perspective. Implement appropriate clinical practice guidelines and care plans through CIS. Coordinate Pharmacy and Therapeutics category/medication reviews as necessary. Develop and conduct target drug programs and drug use evaluations as needed, and report results to Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee. Monitor the use of high-cost, high-risk medications to ensure consistency with approved criteria.
5) Participate in Appropriate Medical Center Committees: Pharmacy Academic Advisory Committee. Clinical Pharmacy Operations Committee. Specialty Care Area-specific Committees/groups. Academic Affairs Program Directors Planning Group Meeting
6) Participate in Pharmacy-Research Projects: Medication related, patient outcomes research. Serve as a residency project mentor for PGY-1 and PGY-2 residents as appropriate
Required Work Experience:
1) PGY-1 or equivalent experience (3 years in a direct patient care role) required
Preferred Work Experience:
1) PGY-2 experience preferred
Skills and Competencies:
Excellence in clinical, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
For more information, please visit us online and apply to job req# R1974 at: baystatehealthjobs.comor interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Internal Number: R1974
About Baystate Health
Baystate Health is a nationally ranked, award-winning, multi-institutional healthcare system located in the beautiful Connecticut River Valley of Western Massachusetts. Baystate Health was recently recognized as a Thompson Reuters Top 15 Health System for outstanding clinical performance and quality outcomes and Baystate Medical Center was recently recognized as the #5 overall “Major Teaching Hospital” in Thompson Reuters 100 Top Hospitals for their overall organizational performance in patient care, operational efficiency and financial stability. Baystate Medical Center is a Leapfrog, Top Hospital and a Magnet Hospital for Nursing Excellence. Our hospitals and practices are just steps from the ivy-covered buildings of prestigious colleges and universities, and we enjoy easy access to Boston, New York City, the snow covered slopes of Vermont, and the beaches of the Cape and Islands. Finding your niche is easy — it starts with Baystate Health.