Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
The Home Infusion Pharmacist will be based in the Home Infusion Pharmacy in Huntsville, AL. The Pharmacist will work 30 plus hours per week Tuesday - Friday. The Infusion Branch is open Monday - Friday, with work hours between 7:00am - 6:00pm with a rotating start time and may need to stay later based on business needs. Will be required to go into the On - call Pharmacist rotation which is 1 weeknight every week and 1 weekend every 7 weeks. Must live within a commutable distance to the Huntsville, AL branch.
- Reviews medication orders and evaluates appropriateness and completeness of orders with consideration given to the special needs and behaviors of the specific age group served. Obtains patient prescription and assists physician, as necessary, in formulating prescriptions and monitoring regimen. Enters medication orders into the computer system and dispenses medications in an accurate and timely manner in appropriate quantities based on stability, compatibility of the drug and age specific needs of the patient. Verifies all prescriptions not directly received from the physician or the physician’s agent
- Assesses the patient at the initiation of drug therapy, develops a patient care plan and drug monitoring regimen and monitors the patient according to the care plan throughout the course of therapy
- Communicates with physicians in suggesting alternate or modified drug therapy programs that are the most cost effective. Communicates with the patient, physician, nursing staff, pharmacists and other members of the health care team regarding patient status, response to therapy and clinical objectives to ensure clinical outcomes is met
- Coordinates with nursing staff to assure the most cost-effective method of delivery is utilized to achieve expected outcome
- Information is input into the computerized software system to ensure accurate and timely dispensing and billing
- Coordinates the drug preparation work of pharmacy technician and checks the accuracy of that work prior to releasing the medications for distribution. Accurately checks medications prepared by pharmacy technicians
- Where applicable, compounds pharmaceuticals in an aseptic fashion according to literature guidelines. Compounds specialty drug products. Uses aseptic technique when compounding sterile drug products. Completes accurate documentation of items compounded and repackaged. Is familiar with, and strives to meet, various guidelines and recommendations as put forth by various governing bodies
- Is knowledgeable with regard to the proper use and handling of sterile and hazardous medications. Compounds and handles sterile and hazardous medications in accordance with established guidelines and regulations (i.e. USP <797>)
- Ensures compliance with all FDA, DEA, State Board of Pharmacy, OSHA and other regulatory standards. Follows all department policies and procedures. Participates in department staff meetings and other functions required in the department, maintains license, continuing education and competencies as required by the appropriate regulatory agency and department
- Complies with all applicable Federal, State pharmacy rules and regulations related to dispensing, controlled substances, etc.
- Ensures that all manufacturer requirements for REMS and / or other requirements are met when dispensing and / or shipping drugs
- Provide oversight of the safety; appropriateness, and effectiveness of the pharmaceutical care provide to patients (consumers) as it relates to specialty products dispensed
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BS in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy degree
- Current and active AL Pharmacist license, without any restrictions
- Experience with intravenous solution compounding and aseptic technique
- Knowledgeable of the variety and complexity of pharmaceuticals, the types of medication orders and be able to fill medication orders accurately and in a timely manner
- Computer proficient especially with Microsoft Office programs
- Proficient in clinical patient monitoring
- Available to be on call (weeknights & weekends) when scheduled
- Live within a commutable distance to the Huntsville, AL branch
- 1+ years of Infusion Pharmacist experience (Home Infusion and/or hospital Pharmacy)
- Possess both verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal relationship skills and problem solving skills
Careers with Optum Infusion Pharmacy. If you choose a career with Optum Infusion Pharmacy, you’ll join a team that is dedicated not only to delivering the latest in home infusion therapy, but also providing that care in a patient-first approach that offers better outcomes. As part of the Optum and UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, we strive to help our patients feel comfortable in their regimen so they can receive the treatment they need while maintaining the lifestyle they prefer. At Optum Infusion Pharmacy, you’ll join a team that inspires you to do better every day, resulting in your life’s best work.(sm)
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.