Internships at UnitedHealth Group. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. UnitedHealth Group internship opportunities will provide a hands-on view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. You’ll work side by side with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. So here we are. You have a lot to learn. We have a lot to do. It’s the perfect storm. And even better? Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
This position performs the professional functions associated with the practice of pharmacy. Works under the supervision and instruction of registered pharmacists in accordance with the laws, rules, and regulations of the State in which the pharmacy resides. Provides outreach to patients through innovative technology and telephonic resources to optimize medication use and promote improved health outcomes. Communicates with patients, care givers, and providers regarding medication therapies to provide patient related clinical interventions, counseling, support services, other clinical/medication quality improvement interventions, and adverse event reporting. The candidate must be able to work in a highly charged, fast paced call center environment as well as participate in the further development and refinement of work systems, tools, processes, protocols, and procedures. Will work approximately 10 hours per week.
- Perform counseling support and education with patients related to their medication(s) and disease state(s) at designated intervals following a standard operating procedure
- Identification and accurate, timely completion of adverse event reporting
- Use the Pharmacists’ Patient Care Process (PPCP) to manage the process and improve patient clinical outcomes
- Provide follow-up with providers, payors, and manufacture partners, as necessary, to optimize patient care outcomes
- Perform drug utilization review and evaluation of services and products
- Collaborate with the direct supervisor or other clinicians to resolve complex issues or escalations as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Develop and implement plans to improve personal patient care performance, and drug therapy class performance in conjunction with leadership
- Maintain compliance with all work and contractual training requirements
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Currently in 1st - 4th year of doctor of pharmacy program for 2022 - 2023 academic school year
- Active Pharmacy Intern license in good standing in the state of Kansas or California or willing to obtain by the time of employment
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex topics using reasoning abilities to apply advanced mathematical concepts and draw valid conclusions
- Must reside within 50 miles of Overland Park, Kansas or 50 miles of Irvine, CA
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered)
- 2+ years of experience as a pharmacy technician or as an Intern in a retail or specialty pharmacy setting preferred
- Experience counseling patients on medications
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws, regulations, and standards regarding the provision of pharmaceutical services
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities:
- Communication skills - Ability to demonstrate solid verbal and written communication skills
- Professionalism - possess personal sensitivity to the needs and experiences of others and a non-judgmental attitude towards persons of differing standards, values, lifestyles, and ages
- Time management - ability to organize, plan and prioritize work to complete within required time frames and to follow-up on pending issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and demonstrate flexibility
- Solid attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy
- Critical thinking - ability to identify complex problems, review related information, employ creativity and alternative thinking to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Possess the knowledge and skills to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintain them over time
Internships at Optum. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, is a leading health services and innovation company dedicated to helping make the health system work better for everyone. With more than 94,000 people collaborating worldwide, Optum combines people, technology, data and action to improve the delivery, quality and efficiency of health care. Our internship opportunities provide a view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. Here, you’ll work with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.