Location: Miami, Florida
Serves as a Pharmacy consultant of record for all offsite outpatient areas. Assists in managing the daily operations of the department, and coordinates pharmacy personnel activities, training, and support relating to the Pyxis medication management system. Maintains crash carts and alternative carts throughout the hospital. Responsible for accurately interpreting, dispensing, preparing, and processing medication orders and applying clinical knowledge to meet all state and federal laws and regulations. Provides timely and accurate drug information to hospital, ambulatory care clinical, and medical staff. Verifies Technician prepared products before release. Works under the general supervision of the Director of Pharmacy Services and department operations and clinical supervisory staff. Works under the supervision of the Pharmacy Director.
Job Specific Duties
- Assists in the development, implementation, and evaluation of department goals relating to all outpatient centers and Pyxis automation.
- Conducts in-service education & orientation on Pyxis for pharmacists, techs, students, interns, nurses, pharmacy, and other staff. Maintains record regarding staff participation.
- Responsible for all Pyxis planning, building, troubleshooting, and system testing throughout health-system. (e.g. user maintenance, drug formularies, checking interfaces).
- Acts as liaison between department, facilities, and Pyxis vendor to troubleshoot and resolve issues any concerns.
- Reviews Pyxis discrepancy reports regularly and reports suspicious activities to facility and compliance department.
- Performs on-site inspections to assigned facilities to remove expired/expiring narcotic items every month as required by regulatory agencies, DNV, etc.
- Oversees/coordinates the distribution of medications from the main campus to all external clinical centers/UCC and employed physician practice centers.
- Ensures department compliance with all state, federal, and regulatory agencies.
- Performs department quality activities to achieve established metrics and documents interventions, clinical activities, and medication errors accurately per regulatory agencies.
- Proactively screens for potential adverse events such as: allergies, incompatibilities, duplications, potential adverse drug reactions, contraindications, drug-drug interactions, etc.
- Accountable to serve as Clinical Staff Pharmacist and maintain competencies for this role.
- Ensures proper records are maintained regarding the receipt, storage, control, distribution and disposal of medications according to state and federal regulations.
- Ensures appropriate education is performed at all outpatient centers.
- Ensures appropriate QA quarterly reports are communicated to each outpatient site, and shared with Medical staff committees.
- Actively participates in P&T committee, Nursing Governance Council UCCs, Pharmacy Operations, DNV preparedness, and Environment of Care meetings.
- Accountable for the implementation and roll-out of the dispensing program across NCHS UCC; audits the discrepancies of the dispensing program and takes action to troubleshoot and resolve any issues.
- Conducts randomized closed chart review for nursing quarterly and reports results.
- Conducts inspections for employed physicians’ offices to ensure that drug samples are properly documented according to hospital policy and procedures.
- Delivers quality pharmaceutical care and effective medication management outcomes through error-free care, timely verification, and delivery of medications.
- Participates in hospital based Code Blue events, medication reconciliation and provides evidenced based drug information.
- Ensures and maintains competency with safe use of pharmacy and hospital clinical information systems (Cerner, Pyxis, C-2Safe,Baxa TPN, DoseEdge, Lab).
- Ensures appropriate aseptic IV technique to meet USP 797 standards as required and completes annual IV Room competency training and testing.
- Ensures and executes policies and procedures that insure appropriate, cost-effective, safe medication use and utilizes the approved hospital formulary.
- Ensures working clinical knowledge and practice skills related to TPN, Chemotherapy, and Investigational Drug processing, preparation, and dispensing.
- Directs and supervises technical staff related to daily medication compounding and preparation, and verifies accuracy of medications prior to dispensing.
- Interprets and processes medication orders timely, accurately, and manages medication use based on state and federal regulations.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Graduate of an accredited school of Pharmacy
- State of Florida Pharmacist license - maintain active in good standing throughout employment
- State of Florida Pharmacist Consultant Pharmacist license - maintain active in good standing throughout employment
- American Heart Association (AHA) BLS - maintain active and in good standing throughout employment
- 2-4 years's experience in hospital pharmacy and outpatient services
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy; Doctorate of Pharmacy preferred.
- Knowledge of Pyxis is highly preferred.
- Pyxis ES Management Certified is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, collaborate with colleagues, clinical and medical staff, leaders, stakeholders, patients and customers.
- Ability to work with a multi-disciplinary team to achieve business results.
- Ability to lead and establish working rapport.
- Ability to assess, evaluate, and make independent decisions to develop positive and constructive outcome.
- Ability to comprehend and analyze information.
- Ability to set priorities and sequence events.
- Ability to visually assess patient or customer needs and to respond appropriately.
- Ability to assess patient care conditions and evaluate patient response to medication therapy regimens.
- Ability to communicate and present information effectively in both oral and written form with all levels of hospital personnel and all patient groups.
- Ability to operate equipment and pharmacy information systems.
- Ability to provide supervisory oversight for technical staff related to medication preparation and dispensing.
- Knowledge of pharmacokinetic and pharmaco-therapeutic properties of medications.
- Ability to relate cooperatively and constructively with patients, co-workers, clinical and medical staff and interdisciplinary teams.
- Able to provide staffing for the inpatient pharmacy throughout the year, including weekends and holidays.
Primary Location :
Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus